Join the Phillip Adams BalletLab & Temperance Hall BOARD of Directors
- Award winning innovative and experimental Australian dance practice
- Supporting independent dance artists
- Championing Queer/LGBTIQ+ artists, communities and aesthetics
- Thriving multipurpose arts venue
- Progressive, professional, and diverse Board
The Board of Phillip Adams BalletLab (PABL) at Temperance Hall is seeking expressions of interest from appropriately skilled individuals to join the Board of Directors. To complement and enhance existing skillsets, experience is sought in fundraising, philanthropy, marketing, finance, legal and governance. Applications are encouraged from women/gender diverse persons, people living with a disability and those who identify as First Nations, Black/POC and LGBTIQA+. Individuals with strong personal or professional connections to artistic practice are invited to apply.
Established in 1998, PABL is a visionary Melbourne-based dance company and leader in innovative and experimental Australian dance practice. Led by choreographer and artist Phillip Adams, winner of the 2018 Australia Council Award for Dance, PABL has presented over 20 works in prestigious arts festivals and venues across Australia and internationally and is a leader in extending the boundaries of contemporary dance practice.
In November 2016, PABL stepped into a new phase, assuming its position as company in residence at South Melbourne’s historic Temperance Hall, with curatorship extended to programming experimental dance and performance works in the venue and leading advocacy for LGBTQIA+ artists and arts practices, including employing and mentoring queer artists.
Temperance Hall is a thriving multipurpose arts venue hosting a variety of artistic and cultural programs and events.
The Board of Directors is responsible for governance focusing on the wider issues of organisational purpose, including the setting and monitoring of strategic direction, and the establishment and monitoring of board level policies.
The Board works in close partnership with the Executive Producer and Artistic Director to ensure that PABL’s objectives and goals are achieved.
Board members participate in six bi-monthly Board meetings each year. In addition, Directors participate in sub-committees and an annual strategic planning workshop.
There are currently Board sub-committees for: Finance and Governance; Fundraising and Philanthropy; Strategic Future Planning.
The Board has a broad range of skills and experience with current Directors able to be viewed here.
Deadline for applications May 31, 2023
- A passion for the arts, either professionally or personally, and an understanding of issues and trends.
- A background in legal, governance, finance, marketing, fundraising or philanthropy would be advantageous.
- A desire to play an active role in helping PABL achieve its artistic vision.
- Strong interpersonal skills, integrity and judgement.
- Previous board experience would be valued but is not essential.
- PABL is an equal opportunity employer and is seeking diversity and gender balance on the Board of Directors.
- PABL is a non-profit organisation with charitable status and is regulated by the Australian Charities and Not-for Profits Commission (ACNC).
- This is a voluntary role.
Please respond to the PABL Board with a brief (no more than 2 pages) document outlining your key skills pertinent to this opportunity to:
- Jordan Saba-Bowering, Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brad Dodemond, Director: email@example.com
Main image: The Prelude – Rachael, image by Gregory Lorenzutti
Inset: Portrait of Phillip Adams, image by Jeff Busby